The demands of enjoying music and films with high technology have been increased quickly, so that it’s very common to see people, especially young people and teenagers wearing headphones all the time on the streets, at parks, coffee shops… They are too attracted to the content of the film or immersing themselves too deep into the world of music so that they don’t even know what are around them. Surroundings don’t have much effect on them. Besides, there are many types of users that need headphones for their daily use such as students and people who want to learn foreign languages, audiences, singers… There are many types of headphones for people to choose, from a cheap and compact headphone for normal use to the best studio headphones for audiophiles to collect and enjoy high – end lossless music tracks…
Many medical researchers showed that the malfunction of hearing ability that often appears at people at the age of 60 is having a tendency of age decrease. Wearing headphone for a long amount of time, for example more than 2 hours on a daily basis will force the hearing cells inside inner ears have to work excessively. As a result of hearing too much through headphone, the hearing ability of a person will be decrease greatly, even lead to deaf for a certain frequency or completely. When the ears is cracked and buzzed, it would be a loss to normal life and affect badly to the quality of one’s life.
Some forms of damage when using the headphone in wrong ways
- Malfunction of inner ear cells: Listening to music for hours continuously day by day will make the cells of inner ears to work too much causing exhausted state. The inner ears have to withstand the noise for too long so that when the ears receive the sound from other people, patient will hear small noise inside their ears. They can hear but can’t understand fully because the sense of receiving sound signal is decrease although on the test, the hearing ability is still the same.
- Inner ears consist of various types of hearing cells. Each type has the mission of receiving a certain frequency. If the noise is too loud and last for a long amount of time, the cells would be aroused to work repeatedly and lead to the result of tiredness. Listening to music with high intensity or forget to turn off the music before sleep not only damage the hearing system but also pose a threat to the nerve system.
- The louder the noise, the worse it could harm your ears: Repeatedly over 85dB sounds for 2 hours per day within months could cause the malfunction of hearing ability. Recently, most of the sound devices have the maximum productivity of 12bB and of course it would be a harm to the ears if used in a wrong way.
- Patient can’t feel the decrease of hearing ability right away, but the symptom would appear for a short amount of time later. The sound with high volume will damage the high frequency hearing cells first, then medium and low frequency ones. That’s why it poses a threat to the hearing to normal talk sounds.
Other bad effects:
- Lack of attention while driving that could lead to accidents. When using the headphones for too long, nerve system will be exhausted so that the ears can’t analyze the talks and lead to the lack of obtaining information and slow reactions.
- Wearing headphone while sleeping will arouse the brain to work continuously. After the sleep, the whole body will be tired, sleepy, loss of attention, low quality work. It has a very bad effect to people who work with machines or drive…
How to reduce the effects when using the headphones
- Don’t turn up the volume too loud, just adjust for medium volume up to 60% of the maximum amount of the device. Don’t wear the headphone for too long or leave the music on when going to sleep.
- Use types of headphones that are suitable for your ears. These types will allow you to listen to music perfectly without having to volume up too much. If you can’t choose a proper one, just remember that don’t use the headphone for too long in high volume.
- Use full – sized headphones that cover your ears. This type of headphone will prevent the sound from surround noise from outer environment to affect the sound. However, full – sized headphones are quite big and hard to carry on while travelling so that it’s not very popular among young people. It’s still the best choice for noise cancellation and reducing the bad effects of using headphones.